Happy Earth Week! Back in the 90’s I thought Earth Day was corny (in my defense, I was a teenager so EVERYTHING was corny!) But now I appreciate it as a day to remember to take care of the earth as best we can. My contribution to the cause is this blog. I’ve been researching California Baby (CB) and I’d like to share my findings with you.

First off, of all the CB products rated on the Skin Deep website, the highest hazard rating that any of them have is a 3 out of 10 which is pretty good. The products that I’m specifically reviewing are the Super Sensitive Shampoo & Bodywash with No Fragrance (rating of 1) and the Calming Hair Conditioner (rating of 2). Reasons for the shampoo’s rating have to do with Grapefruit Seed Extract, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Aloe Vera, and Glycerin. You can check the Skin Deep website if any of these are very concerning to you. They make it easy to click on the concerning ingredient to see what the problems are with it. I just figured you wouldn’t want to read a 10 page blog concerning all these ingredients. The conditioner had many similar ingredients but also Citric Acid, Acacia Senegal Gum and a few other plant oils and vitamins. None of this is overly concerning to me but you have to make the right decision for your family.

California Baby products are free from common allergens such as milk, egg, peanut, walnut, cashew, almond and pecans, fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat. They are also free of gluten and casein. There are no Sulfates, DEA, Colors, Dyes, Synthetic Fragrances or Numbing Agents. Their products and packaging are phthalate free which basically means there are no synthetic fragrances and their bottles are highly recyclable. Their products are not tested on animals and they contain organic and sustainably grown ingredients.

Now this is my favorite part. CB uses Decyl Polyglucose, a non-invasive cleansing/bubbling agent instead of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). If you don’t know about SLS, some of heath risks that have been linked to it are skin irritation/corrosion, hormone imbalance, eye irritation, protein denaturing and the potential to cause cancer. So to have a bubbling agent without all that risk is awesome!

Like I said before, I like this product for my daughter. It lathers well and it’s relatively safe which are the two things I treasure most in a product. Now, is it the culprit that’s been irritating my daughter’s skin? That remains to be seen, but more on that later. You can find California Baby products on their website http://www.californiababy.com/index.html or at other retailers. I found mine at Target!

Now turn off the computer and go do something earthy!